Courtesy of @madhoney.london
- Place a large stock pot over medium heat & heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Season beef with salt & pepper & sear, in batches if needed, until browned on all sides. Remove into a large bowl.
- Heat remaining oil & cook the onion & celery until soft, approximately 6 minutes. Add garlic, fennel seeds & chilli flakes & cook until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste & cook for a couple of minutes until it is darkened in colour.
- Deglaze pot with wine, scraping any brown bits up at the bottom of your pot with a wooden spoon.
- Add the whole peeled tomatoes, water, thyme, bay leaf, balsamic vinegar & seared beef & season with salt & pepper.
- Stir to combine, cover with a lid & place in the oven at 140C. Cook for 6-8 hours until the meat shreds easily & the liquid has reduced by a third.
- Serve over your favourite pasta or polenta. Top generously with parmesan & parsley before serving.